Thursday, July 17, 2014

Guest Post: Antojitos Domis

by Krista

We celebrated our honeymoon in beautiful Cozumel recently and this week, I woke up craving a torta (Mexican sandwich with deliciously crusty bread and your choice of meats). I hopped in my car around lunch time the other day and found myself in Indy's NW side.

Antojitos Domis caught my eye, located next to several Mexican supermarkets. The menu is primarily in Spanish, and really, they offer only a select few items -- tortas, tacos, burritos, and chilaquilles. The place was busy, and everyone was ordering tacos! The restaurant is very small and clean, and I felt welcome despite knowing only a few Spanish phrases.

I ended up ordering 3 tacos and a side of guacamole. All the tacos at Antojitos are meat-heavy with onion and cilantro on top. If you've only eaten tacos smothered in cheese and sour cream, try this more authentic version next time. Each taco was a reasonable $1.99.

The first taco was chorizo; it was salty, fatty, and quite delicious. Chorizo is often served at breakfast time, and as such, it wasn't listed as an option for tacos. The server was happy to accommodate my request, luckily. The second taco was pastor (pork), but wasn't nearly as juicy or as flavorful as I have had elsewhere. Though the menu said pineapple was mixed with the pastor, I couldn't find any. Pastor is my absolute favorite thing to order in a taco, reminiscent of shawarma meat. Last, the chicken taco was quite good -- lots of smoky flavor and very tender. All the tacos were served in freshly made corn tortillas with lime on the side.


Antojitos brings two salsas in squirt bottles (smart!!) - one green and one red. These were sensational -- spicy and full of flavor. The guacamole was freshly made, but I suspect mixed with mayo or sour cream as it was very creamy.

Three tacos made to order with a heaping portion of guacamole was less than 9 bucks. I'll definitely be back to try a torta sometime soon. No complimentary chips and salsa offered on my visit -- but with prices this low and servings so large, I doubt you'll go hungry.

Antojitos Domis
7940 Michigan Rd, 
Indianapolis, IN 46268
(317) 471-8455

No comments:

Post a Comment